Release Notes for OpenJPA
These notes describe the difference between OpenJPA release 1.0.1 and the
preceding releases, 0.9.7 and 1.0.0. 1.0.1 is the first maintenance release
since OpenJPA graduated to an Apache top level project (TLP), and contains
many new features and bugfixes.
OpenJPA is a feature-rich implementation of the persistence part of
Java Community Process JSR-220 (Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0), which is
known as the Java Persistence API (JPA).
OpenJPA can be used as a stand-alone POJO persistence layer, or it can be
integrated into any EJB3.0 compliant container and many lightweight frameworks.
This release of OpenJPA is 100% compliant with the JPA specification.
Additional information on the OpenJPA project may be found at the project web
Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file
distributed with this work for additional information
regarding copyright ownership. The ASF licenses this file
to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
"License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
software distributed under the License is distributed on an
"AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the
specific language governing permissions and limitations
under the License.
The license may also be found in LICENSE.txt which is included
in each release of OpenJPA.
In normal usage, OpenJPA requires Java 5 or higher and a relational
database of some sort.
If you have questions about OpenJPA, a good source of information is the
online product manual. You can find the manual for the current release as well
as older releases of OpenJPA at
If you can't find what you're looking for in the manual or would like more
clarification you please post to the OpenJPA development mailing list.
Information on all of the OpenJPA mailing lists may be found here:
The Apache OpenJPA project is being built by the open source community for the
open source community - we welcome your input and contributions!
What we are looking for
- Source code and fixes contributions
- Documentation assistance
- Product and feature suggestions
- Detailed and constructive feedback
- Articles and whitepapers
How do I Contribute?
- To discuss Apache OpenJPA topics check out the mailing lists.
- Informal discussion also occurs on the #openjpa IRC channel on
- Bugs and other issues can be posted on the project JIRA.
The following bugs have been fixed for release 0.9.7
- [OPENJPA-16] - NPE in createQuery for EJB QL with nested correlated subqueries
- [OPENJPA-21] - Time is missing from list of mutable classes.
- [OPENJPA-22] - locate & substring queries fail both db2 & derby, cannot use parameter markers in expression ?-?
- [OPENJPA-23] - -418 sqlexception using DB2 and EJB QL with SQRT or MOD
- [OPENJPA-24] - Allow OpenJPA to be extensible
- [OPENJPA-25] - Incorrect SQL generated for queries involving more than one AbstractSchemaNames, generated SQL FROM clause is missing 'Table alias'
- [OPENJPA-35] - In-memory Delete operation fails with active DataCache
- [OPENJPA-41] - transforming classes doesn't work
- [OPENJPA-48] - parsing error - cast of subselect does not work
- [OPENJPA-50] - bad sql pushdown, cast changes datatype
- [OPENJPA-53] - bad sql pushdown for nested subselects, missing nested subselect
- [OPENJPA-54] - bad sql pushdown, should use all syntax
- [OPENJPA-56] - in derby concat with input parameter needs a cast, otherwise becomes long varchar and some operations do not work
- [OPENJPA-60] - Specifying the wrong persistence implementation in persistence.xml leads to misleading error message
- [OPENJPA-62] - Ejbql join queries show invalid null Entities when run in a new persistence context where no entity instances exist.
- [OPENJPA-71] - Caching primitive array types consumes excessive memory
- [OPENJPA-77] - Problems in default setting in DB2Dictionary , also missing support for DB2 z/OS platforms
- [OPENJPA-80] - Bad Escaping for LIKE in MySQL
- [OPENJPA-98] - Java deadlock when insert in t1 and find in t2 when using IBM JVM 1.5.0
- [OPENJPA-100] - entries failing to be processed for persistence unit rooted in an EAR
- [OPENJPA-102] - JTA transaction rollback, nonexistant instances, transactional persistence context => failures during afterCompletion() and close()
- [OPENJPA-103] - Default Listeners not being processed correctly
- [OPENJPA-104] - OpenJPA does not detach instances on rollback()
- [OPENJPA-107] - @SqlResultSetMappings fails in mapping tool with java.lang.ArrayStoreException
- [OPENJPA-108] - @AttributeOverrides fails in mapping tool with java.lang.ArrayStoreException
- [OPENJPA-109] - every NativeQuery using SqlResultSetMapping fails at runtime with There is no query result mapping for "null" with name "xxx" when the entity is persisted in a different method than the method doing the query.
- [OPENJPA-110] - Every NamedNativeQuery using ResultSetMapping fails at runtime with class cast exception when try to iterate over list
- [OPENJPA-111] - native queries fail when use named parameters
- [OPENJPA-115] - Bottleneck(s) with using OpenJPA in a Container-managed environment
- [OPENJPA-116] - EntityManager.getDelegate should throw an IllegalStateException
- [OPENJPA-118] - AutoDetach property has no effect
- [OPENJPA-119] - EntityManager.clear() should not implicitly invoke the flush operation
- [OPENJPA-121] - Table name defaults to the class name instead of the entity name
- [OPENJPA-122] - EntityManager does not throw exceptions after close() in required cases
- [OPENJPA-132] - java.lang.NoSuchMethodError for entity with ID of type java.sql.Date
- [OPENJPA-133] - Can't find non-public callback methods with superclass or interface parameters
- [OPENJPA-134] - Extra unneeded SQL joins for OneToMany relationship with fetch type EAGER
- [OPENJPA-139] - PersistenceException merging an entity with a Calendar field.
- [OPENJPA-140] - Wrong package name in test classes
- [OPENJPA-142] - Entity name is ignored when specified in the orm.xml file
- [OPENJPA-144] - JDBCConfigurationImpl does not support JNDI lookup for non-jta-data-source.
- [OPENJPA-146] - Entity enhancement fails while using EmbeddedId on a MappedSuperclass
- [OPENJPA-150] - @Column in @AttributeOverride not honoring table attribute that maps to a secondary table in mappedsuperclass entity
- [OPENJPA-154] - OptimisticLockException working with Savepoints
- [OPENJPA-155] - java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException during commit
- [OPENJPA-157] - NullPointerException when running query with null parameter
- [OPENJPA-162] - @OrderBy on @OneToMany does not allow ordering by @Id value
- [OPENJPA-174] - error when find()'ing an abstract class
- [OPENJPA-175] - Eager selects by PagingResultObjectProvider may not use the FetchBatchSize
- [OPENJPA-179] - Schemas defined in orm.xml are only applied when a name is also specified.
- [OPENJPA-181] - ClassCastException when executing bulk delete on an entity that owns a OneToOne with a Cascade.DELETE when DataCache is on
- [OPENJPA-185] - optional attribute is not overriden by xml descriptor
- [OPENJPA-186] - Build failure of OpenJPA sources from trunk
- [OPENJPA-202] - after invoking LRS processing in a client by calling an @LRS annotated relationship, the next em.clear()/em.close() gets org.apache.openjpa.persistence.InvalidStateException: You cannot transfer large result set fields from one object or field to another
- [OPENJPA-208] - NoResultException and NonUniqueResultException are not thrown when expected
- [OPENJPA-214] - Need to support floating point primary keys
Improvements made for release 0.9.7
- [OPENJPA-10] - persistence unit name should be default diagnostic context for standard OpenJPA log impl
- [OPENJPA-37] - Support ant typedefs for OpenJPA tasks
- [OPENJPA-55] - Allow executeUpdate() invocations on native queries
- [OPENJPA-57] - persistence_1_0.xsd is missing
- [OPENJPA-63] - Better pessimistic lock support for DB2 v8.2+
- [OPENJPA-151] - Added field in enhanced vesrion of a class is not serialized. Hence the change in detached+serialized instances is not registered under certain conditions.
- [OPENJPA-153] - WebSphere and non-jta-data-source and default ManagedRuntime
- [OPENJPA-158] - OpenJPA logs overly-verbose at INFO level
- [OPENJPA-161] - Overuse of synchronization in AbstractBrokerFactory
- [OPENJPA-166] - Track the reason why a setRollbackOnly invocation was made
- [OPENJPA-176] - Exception prefixes should be human-readable
- [OPENJPA-196] - Ease the restrictions on forcing a matche between the number of declared and assigned positional parameters
Features added for release 0.9.7
- [OPENJPA-92] - Support for H2 Database Engine
- [OPENJPA-93] - Sequence generation in a JTA environment should not require non-JTA datasource
- [OPENJPA-94] - Allow MappingTool and persistence.xml to support drop-create for database schema
- [OPENJPA-182] - db2 update lock syntax WITH USE AND KEEP UPDATE LOCKS
Tasks done for release 0.9.7
- [OPENJPA-36] - Add cwiki url to incubator status page
Additional testing done for release 0.9.7
- [OPENJPA-40] - Testing OpenJPA and Spring integration fails
- [OPENJPA-61] - Missing usage of TransactionSynchronizationRegistry
- [OPENJPA-86] - "uuid-hex" generator does not make affect in orm.xml
- [OPENJPA-143] - Problems with Single Table Inheritance Strategy (and Discriminator Type of Integer)
- [OPENJPA-165] - QueryImpl.setFirstResult does not take already set maxResults into account
- [OPENJPA-177] - When using NOT NULL constraint on foreign key it is not possible to use CascadeType.ALL and GeneratedId
- [OPENJPA-199] - bulk update gets parsing exception trying to update an attribute of an embedded class
- [OPENJPA-244] - Java 2 Security enablement
- [OPENJPA-248] - ForeignKey cascade delete action not working
- [OPENJPA-257] - Getter/Setter type inconsistency in Entity IdClass
- [OPENJPA-269] - Informix doesn't support subselects or using table aliases in a delete statement.
- [OPENJPA-271] - DB2 missing JDBC driver 2 support
- [OPENJPA-272] - @GenerateValue (AUTO) doesn't work with Property level access
- [OPENJPA-274] - JPQL queries cannot access version fields, including bulk updates
- [OPENJPA-278] - OpenJPAQuery.getDataStoreActions() returns an empty String array
- [OPENJPA-280] - Enhancement failure for inherited fields introduced with change 532137
- [OPENJPA-281] - EAGER not the default fetch type without the @Basic annotation
- [OPENJPA-284] - TableJDBCSeq for GeneratedValue.TABLE did not handle initialValue correctly
- [OPENJPA-285] - Multiple deploy/undeploy leaks memory in PCRegistry
- [OPENJPA-287] - Generated methods on superclasses are not visible to subclasses
- [OPENJPA-294] - Exception while enchnancing the java classes using OpenJPA PCEnhancerTask with build.xml
- [OPENJPA-296] - UUID algorithm generating non-unique values sometimes
- [OPENJPA-304] - Problems with DepthFirstAnalysis and the IBM JDK
- [OPENJPA-308] - Postgres: bytea vs. oid handling in PreparedStatement.setNull() calls
- [OPENJPA-311] - Problem loading classes with OSGi classloaders
- [OPENJPA-312] - derby fails with duplicate primary key(s) in group by list
- [OPENJPA-313] - list of objects returned by query partially correct
- [OPENJPA-314] - Unenhanced complex id in MappedSuperclass causes NPE
- [OPENJPA-315] - Unenhanced generated id field of a primitive wrapper type causes NPE
- [OPENJPA-320] - Do not use System Tables (SYS*) with DB2
- [OPENJPA-321] - DB2 ABS Casting problem
- [OPENJPA-322] - Timezone on the Calendar object lost in proxying
- [OPENJPA-323] - Cleanup some message text
- [OPENJPA-256] - java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.openjpa.util.CacheMap in a jetty spring environment
- [OPENJPA-279] - Fixed missing lookup for non-jta-data-source in JDBCConfigurationImpl.
- [OPENJPA-297] - Lazy loading must be ignored in certain unenhanced cases
- [OPENJPA-298] - Miscellaneous documentation improvements
- [OPENJPA-299] - Provide a means to enable the old enhancing agent
- [OPENJPA-259] - Ability to parse EJB QL multiline queries in orm.xml
- [OPENJPA-266] - Add Extensibility: Change "private" field/method to "protected" or "public" in OpenJPA classes to be extendable
- [OPENJPA-275] - Bulk updates: version information should be automatically maintained when the query does not
- [OPENJPA-168] - sql optimize n rows query hint
- [OPENJPA-239] - Option for the reverse mapping tool to generate mapping annotations
- [OPENJPA-262] - Event notification of BrokerFactory creation
- [OPENJPA-263] - Introducing getAll(List) method for data cache to be called by loadAll() will allow data cache plug-ins to leverage the advantage of any third-party cache that provides a way to get multiple object in one call by providing a list of keys (oids).
- [OPENJPA-317] - API formalization pre-1.0
- [OPENJPA-113] - when you specify columm table="empbean" in the xml file entity id or basic type when empbean is the default table name, the mapping tool generates extra foreign key field (eg.EmpBean_empid) in the table produced
- [OPENJPA-135] - join fetch not returning duplicate references which not conforming to ejb3.0 spec
- [OPENJPA-209] - Query returning 2 entities w/unidir 1-1 relationship gets openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: Address with the same id already exists in the L1 cache.
- [OPENJPA-210] - Query returning 2 entities w/1-1 relationship returns wrong types in the result list
- [OPENJPA-211] - CLONE -java.lang.VerifyError on websphere 6.1 with Spring 2.0.3 and OpenJpa 0.96/0.97
- [OPENJPA-251] - org.apache.openjpa.enhance.Reflection.getDeclaredMethod() has undefined behavior, leading to VM-dependent crashes
- [OPENJPA-258] - MetaDataInheritanceComparator is not transitive; C > B > A > C leads to out-of-memory crash in PCEnhancer
- [OPENJPA-282] - Postgresql does not support deferred unique constraints
- [OPENJPA-295] - ArrayIndexOutofBoundsException when under load and within a managed Transaction
- [OPENJPA-316] - Unenhanced OneToMany collection not loaded
- [OPENJPA-326] - NPE if a discriminator column is specified without discriminator type in orm.xml
- [OPENJPA-329] - Generic interface may cause the openjpa Reflection code to pickup the wrong getter method
- [OPENJPA-331] - Allow BigInteger and other Basic types as Primary Keys
- [OPENJPA-335] - Logic in getters for entities with property access causes the PCEnhancer to hang
- [OPENJPA-339] - Java 2 security Access denied in File.toURL() call
- [OPENJPA-343] - Do not call setRollbackOnly on inactive Transactions
- [OPENJPA-346] - PCEnhancerAgent backwards-compatibility setting overly-enables enhancement
- [OPENJPA-347] - Performance Issue with Lazy Loaded Foreign Keys
- [OPENJPA-353] - Character discriminators are not converted correctly if storeCharsAsNumbers = true
- [OPENJPA-355] - OpenJPA Log4J factory incorrectly handles logging level
- [OPENJPA-356] - DB2 requires CASTs when parameters appear in SELECT clause
- [OPENJPA-357] - Use case where FetchGroup A includes FecthGroup B is not honoured by fetch operations
- [OPENJPA-358] - Recursion Depth for Field f should be calculated w.r.t active fetch groups and not all fetch groups
- [OPENJPA-360] - SQL FOR UPDATE OF incorrectly generated for DB2/NT SQL0816
- [OPENJPA-361] - Incorrect GREG_OFFSET offset or inconsistent usage in UUIDGenerator
- [OPENJPA-366] - InternalException thrown in BrokerImpl.endOperation
- [OPENJPA-367] - PCEnhancer does not find meta data for entities using pure XML annotation
- [OPENJPA-368] - Multithreaded client fails randomly on EntityManager.persist() with out transaction context.
- [OPENJPA-369] - AccessDeclaredMembers RuntimePermission requires by Solaris JDK with security enabled
- [OPENJPA-372] - PCEnhancer throws away its classloader
- [OPENJPA-375] - DB2 autoCommit(true) causes Result Set prematurely closed in WebContainer JEE environment.
- [OPENJPA-376] - Need more trace for transaction demarcation
- [OPENJPA-377] - RuntimeUnenhancedClasses support can go into a "half baked" state
- [OPENJPA-378] - DB2 SQL incorrectly generating "FETCH FIRST n ROWS ONLY" in subselects
- [OPENJPA-380] - Connecting to database when an unused emf is closed
- [OPENJPA-382] - Overriding column names for Byte attributes causes exception.
- [OPENJPA-385] - IndexOutOfBounds exception when parsing ".class" files
- [OPENJPA-387] - Getting "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException" when loading datacache plug-in which is a class outside of OpenJPA package.
- [OPENJPA-388] - MappingToolTask can't find persistence meta data.
- [OPENJPA-389] - em.getTransaction().commit() is not issuing database commit for NativeQuery requesting updates
- [OPENJPA-394] - DB2 CAST VARCHAR type missing LENGTH
- [OPENJPA-395] - Accessing short Foreign Key metadata fields as ints causes problems on iSeries
- [OPENJPA-396] - Cloning Calendar proxies doesn't detach from StateManager
- [OPENJPA-397] - schematool ant task always requires files
- [OPENJPA-401] - UnsatisfiedLinkError in MappingToolTask when using DB2 JDBC driver
- [OPENJPA-402] - Unable to detect an valid Entity's meta data when the entity's .class file size is large.
- [OPENJPA-403] - LoadFetchGroup patch (OPENJPA-370) introduces NPE
- [OPENJPA-405] - need extract space in the message text
- [OPENJPA-409] - Quick message updates
- [OPENJPA-410] - Change "connecting to dictionary" message from Info to Trace
- [OPENJPA-413] - Fix some message text in the localizer.properties files
- [OPENJPA-415] - Garbage collection of AbstractResultList instance closes active connection
- [OPENJPA-416] - Unclear exception if an unknown external value is used
- [OPENJPA-420] - JPQL constructor query close the <SELECT DISTINCT> feature?
- [OPENJPA-421] - OpenJPA generates bad SQL before configuration fully populated
- [OPENJPA-422] - Calendar objects contained in a detached Entity still have a "live" StateManagerImpl
- [OPENJPA-423] - Deadlock victim exception getting sequence value with SQLServer
- [OPENJPA-309] - CTS passing in at least JDK6
- [OPENJPA-408] - Improve error processing for openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses property settings
- [OPENJPA-338] - Remove unnecessary CAST in SQL statement for DB2